måndag 6 december 2010

Mama didn't raise no fool

Anna:
As much as I love to do the kettlebell muscle program it unfortunately has taken the best out of my shoulders. The five weeks I've done so far have given me deltoids worhty a swimmer and I guess that's one of the points of the whole thing. But unfortunaletly the KBM-work has also brought back some of the impingement feelings in my shoulders that I had this spring.

It might seem obvious that pain is a bad thing. But there are so many idiots out there who take pride in pain. Perhaps a few years ago I would have childishly shouted along with the 'pain is temporary/pride lasts forever'-choir. Today I know better. Strenght, speed, endurance and flexibilityis cool. To work hard to achieve that is cool. To be stubborn and not to stop when it gets uncomfortable is admirable adn to test your limits and push them forward is commendable.

But working through pain because your vanity is telling you to is just stupid.

If you are reading Adam T Glass' brilliant blog 'Walk the road less travelled' you've probably read one or two posts on his opinion and thoughts on the matter ofyou should not hurt pain. In a post he wrote a couple of weeks ago he wrote a few things that caught me. First one regarded how training should make you feel: "You should not hurt. Anywhere." This also might sound obvious but imagine what would happen if we genuinely followed that creed. I guess it would turn around our fitnesspractice altogether and revolution our ability to listen to our bodies. And of course, that is just what Adam T Glass advocates with his biofeedback principles.

The second thing he wrote was that if you hurt after training "you are doing what someone else told you to do, not what your body is telling you to do." And it's evident isn't it. If we woke up each morning and was to decide what kind of training we were going to pursue today, we would certainly not do military presses if our shoulders were hurting. So why do we keep doing things that hurt and why do we keep hurting ourselves? I think the quote above explains a lot.

Last week when I started go feel ny shoulders I took a break from the neverending presses of the KBM program and taken a step back. I'm doing things that feels good in my body, at the moment that's deadlifting and I've reaturned to a practice that I know always makes me feel strong, supple and balanced. Ashtanga yoga. I'm hoping to get back on track on the program soon. But if I don't, that's just the way it is. Maybe some other time. Meanwhile I'm tappin into what this precious little body of mine is trying to tell me and not what Geoff Neupert has written in some paperback book.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar