måndag 18 oktober 2010

3-D kettlebells anyone?

Jon:
My first eskrima practice the other day reminded me of something that I've known for a while but never really adressed: that most of the training I do are two dimensional. How did it remind me? My obliques are still hurting.

In eskrima passing the center line of the body is more the rule than the exception.
Most of the strikes are performed diagonally across the midline. Twinting is of course very common i many sports and perhaps especially in martial arts. It is almost impossible to generate power in striking, throwing or kicking without twisting the body. In non specific sports training like Crossfit or kettlebells however we rarely do these kind of motions. With kettlebells we have a few movements that do this. Most notebly the TGU but also the "RKC-armbar", the "Around the World Pass" and the "Figure 8 to Hold". You can also do some variation on "Lunges with a twist"None of those are however very explosive. To me there seems to be a void to be filled here.
I'm thinking that kb-juggling might be a way to do it. Juggling a kettlebell you constantly pass the midline and move in all planes and you constantly put the body slightly out of balance. Anybody out there who has tried Gus Petersens K.A.T. dvd's?
Well, I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas on this subject.

1 kommentar:

  1. Jag och Björn har tagit upp CrossFits brist på bålrotation flera gånger. En bra lösning är att lägga in olika kast och stötningar i sin vanliga träning. Eller också att träna ett pass brottning eller boxning nån gång då och då.

    SvaraRadera